If you have been thinking recently about all the ways you could improve your garage, be it to make the entire garage more livable due to additional time being spent at home, to convert the garage into a more unconventional living space, to increase the size of the garage for more storage space, or to simply make the garage more aesthetically appealing, then you are going to want to know what it takes to make your dream garage into a reality and build that custom garage. Below are important details about each step in the process.
Customizing Your Garage to Fit Your Needs
A lot of work goes into custom garage building, but in general, the following five steps are particularly crucial to make the most of it:
- Dreaming and Planning—You will be the one dreaming about the perfect new custom garage. You will consider its size, its functions, its appearance, and so much more. Then, once you have your “dream garage” in mind, you can work with a custom garage builder to begin planning how to make that dream into a reality. This might include determining functions (what the garage will be used for, what the garage needs to have in order to achieve its primary functions), design features (size, aesthetics, paint, number of windows and doors), and construction materials (flooring, walls, roofing, garage door)
- Demolition—If you are not starting from scratch, your garage builder will need to demolish your existing garage. This will include:
- Removing the current garage
- Eliminating the old concrete slab
- Getting rid of any leftover debris
- Flooring Installation—The next step would be to lay down the foundation, including the concrete flooring. Depending on the function and design of your custom garage, you might want additional material placed above the concrete flooring. Your custom garage builder will make sure all concrete installation is up to code.
- Structure Construction—This is when some serious building takes place. This step involves the construction of the entire garage, including:
- Wall and garage door frame assembly
- Roofing and shingling
- Window installation
- Entry/access door installation
- Garage door assembly and installation
Once these basics of construction are covered, your custom garage builder will begin some additional custom elements of your garage, which might involve special design details and functional features of the garage.
- Testing/Inspecting—Once the custom garage is built, it will need to be tested and inspected for quality. This includes making sure that it is entirely safe, secure, and sound in construction.
Contact a Chicago-Area Custom Garage Builder
If you have your dream garage in mind, it might be time to make it a reality. Contact a Downers Grove garage specialist at 630-852-8485 to discuss your plans further. Blue Sky Builders has been delighting customers like you by building custom garages since 1979. They can be trusted to build the custom garage you have always wanted.