As hurricane season fast approaches, and with prior months this past spring already having shown heavy downpours, you might be concerned about your garage and its safety from flooding. You may have already seen some damage in recent months due to heavy rainfall. Whatever the case may be, here are some inventive ways to protect your garage from flooding:
How to Prevent Flooding in Your Garage
When first building your custom garage, you may need to take steps to keep the floodwaters away. You may also need to protect against flooding in the garage that came with your home. Whichever situation you face, here are some helpful methods for dealing with flooding in your garage:
- Repair or Replacement of Garage Door and Floor Seals—If your garage door is not properly sealed at the ground when closed, you will need to fix or replace your seals. The good news is this is not a difficult process, and it will also keep insects and other pests out of your garage once completed. You should be sure to monitor the seals regularly and fix or replace them when necessary.
- Usage of an Outdoor Sump Pump—While most people assume sump pumps are only useful in basements, the truth is they can also be beneficial when protecting your garage from floodwaters. If you install an outdoor sump pump just below your garage floor, you could prevent some serious flooding issues.
- Slab-Jacking or Other Concrete Repair or Replacement—In many cases, the flooding in your garage is the direct result of crumbling structures, especially with concrete. In those cases, slab-jacking can help, in which massive amounts of grout are forced beneath vulnerable concrete sites in the garage. If slab-jacking does not seem right for your situation, you could also mix your own concrete and use that instead of grout.
- Installation of Garage Gutters—When dealing with flooding in any area of your home, the primary goal is to direct water flow away from the home’s structure. The same goes for your garage. Brand-new garage gutters can help guide extra water runoff into spouts and drains away from the garage. Professional garage roofing and siding services can ensure that gutters and drainage are installed correctly.
- Addition of Extra Indoor and Outdoor Drains—Especially if you are noticing pools of water inside your garage, possibly even during the winter, interior drains can help. In addition, exterior drains can also be useful if you notice the existing drains are being taxed beyond their capabilities during each rainfall.
- Placement of Smart Home Water Sensors—Many of the aforementioned pieces of advice consider what to do when flooding in the garage becomes a problem. However, if you are worried about the possibility of flooding without having actually had it happen at your home or garage yet, then installing affordable smart home water sensors in your garage will help you keep tabs on things and take preemptive measures as soon as possible.
Contact a Dupage County Garage Renovation Professional
Weather authorities have issued warnings of a hurricane season that will be “more severe than usual” this season. There is no better time than now to make sure your garage is protected from flooding. Water in your garage can destroy personal property, and cause damage to the overall structure of your garage and even your house. If you are looking to build a garage that takes these concerns into consideration, or if you want to renovate your garage to address these issues, call a Downers Grove custom garage expert at 630-852-8485.