Transforming Your Garage into a Workout Facility for the Winter
The Chicago-area winters can be especially cold and long. Temperatures can hover at or below freezing from November all the way to March. Although some natives of Illinois may venture outside to get some exercise, many prefer to work out indoors during these months. With COVID-19 restrictions still in place throughout the state, it may be awhile before individuals will feel safe going to a public gym or rec center. As such, now might be the perfect time to consider renovating your garage into a workout area. Whether you want to utilize the entire garage space or just a section of it, there are ways to accomplish your goal of staying fit and healthy.
Tips for the Best Use of Space
Creating a gym in your garage can save you time and money in the long run. Gym memberships can be expensive, and there may be gas and transportation costs if there is not a gym within walking distance. Having an area to exercise in your garage makes it much more convenient, which is sometimes half the battle. In addition, if you are working from home or your kids are learning remotely, going to the garage allows for an escape from the same four walls. Keep in mind that depending on the size of your garage, you may or may not be able to leave your vehicles in it during your workout time. If you have a three-car garage but only two cars, that extra space can be ideal. You can also move your lawnmower or snowblower to a shed if you have one.
Here are a few steps for turning your garage into a place to get exercise when it is too cold to go outside:
- Clean the area you want to use and donate any items you are not using.
- Put decorations or lawn and gardening tools in labeled bins.
- Install hooks or shelving units to store dumbbells, gloves, jump ropes, medicine balls, and more.
- Make a floor plan that provides enough space to set up a treadmill, weight bench, stationary bike, or yoga mat.
- Mount a flat-screen TV on the wall to watch workout videos, the news, or listen to music while you work out.
- Hook up a ceiling fan or portable fan for cooling off and to ensure adequate ventilation.
- Consider putting in light fixtures or a skylight for more natural light.
- Seal the floor with epoxy or place a rubber mat down for cushion.
- Build out walls and insulate with drywall for a more secure and comfortable room.
Contact a Downers Grove Garage Builder
Creating an area to exercise may be just the motivation you need for your New Year’s resolution to lose a few pounds. If you are thinking about using your garage as a workout room, we can help you make the most of your space. Blue Sky Builders has more than 40 years of experience building and renovating all types of garages. Our reputable DuPage County garage professionals have proven experience turning your ideas into reality. To learn more about our offerings, call our office today at 630-852-8485 to schedule a free estimate.