Is a Detached Garage Right for Your Home?
If you are a soon-to-be or current homeowner, you may need to make decisions about how you will use your garage or whether you will need to make any renovations. Depending on your personal preferences and your family’s needs, you may need to determine the style of garage that you plan to have on your property. While some people may choose to have a garage attached to their home, others may make their garage a free-standing structure. Before embarking on a garage construction project, it is important to discuss your plans and goals with a trained professional.
Benefits of a Detached Garage
If you are looking to create separation between different parts of your home, a detached garage could be the perfect answer. A garage that is separated from your house could be:
- Converted into a stand-alone unit and living space that can be used by guests or rented to a tenant.
- An appropriate storage location for lawn, gardening, and snow removal equipment, bicycles, tools, and other items.
- Utilized as a patio-type area for backyard parties or events.
- Safer against theft and burglary.
- Easier to expand upon, as a loft or additional rooms may be added on.
- Used as a space for hobbies. For instance, band practice in a detached garage could help contain the sound and avoid disruption to other family members.
- Converted into a home-office location.
- Beneficial to your property’s curb appeal.
Since a detached garage is often larger than an attached garage, you may have the option of fitting more vehicles in this type of structure. A detached garage may also have additional storage space, which could protect your property from the weather and from theft.
Call Our Downers Grove Garage Renovation Specialists
Choosing between an attached or detached garage can be a complex task. Your garage is an important part of your property, and you will want to consider all of the potential benefits or drawbacks of each type of garage. At Blue Sky Builders, we can help you understand the options available to you and the best ways you can utilize the space in your garage. Our team of dedicated DuPage County custom garage experts can help you determine which style of garage will be best for you, and we will work with you to make sure your garage provides value to your home and family. To receive a free estimate, call our office today at 630-852-8485.