Preventing a Turkey Fryer Fire in Your Garage This Thanksgiving
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and most families will be enjoying a traditional turkey dinner that they have spent several weeks planning. In recent years, deep frying turkeys has become more common, and some people feel that it is much easier than baking their meal in the oven for at least three hours. While a turkey prepared in a fryer will have crispy skin and sealed juices, and the cooking process only takes about 45 minutes, people should be aware of the risk of fire that comes with frying their turkey. If you are planning to fry a turkey in your garage this Thanksgiving, here are some safety tips that you should follow:
Preventing a Garage Fire on Thanksgiving
To make the Thanksgiving feast as ideal as possible, it is best to avoid using fryers on decks, in garages, or near trees and detached structures. Before cooking, the turkey should be thawed and dry, since cold water mixing into hot oil can cause a fire. If the weather is rainy or snowy, do not use a fryer outside. The fryer should also be placed on a level surface and should be untouched once it is in use.
Here are some additional tips for using a fryer as safely as possible:
- If the fryer is propane-powered, the burner and the tank should be kept at least two feet apart.
- It is best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to make sure you do not overfill the fryer. If oil comes into contact with the burner, a fire could start.
- Choosing a smaller turkey is a good idea, and it is best to avoid adding stuffing or water-based marinades.
- Fryers should never be left unattended, and children should be kept away from fryers when they are in use.
- An oil-less fryer which uses infrared heat to cook a turkey can provide a safer way to prepare a delicious meal.
Contact Blue Sky Builders
By following these tips, you can prevent a possible fire in your garage on Thanksgiving and make sure that your family will be able to enjoy the holiday safely. If you have any questions about how to get the most out of your garage during the holidays, Blue Sky Builders is ready to assist you. Based in Downers Grove, we have over 38 years of experience in the garage sector, and our garage experts can provide you with the assistance you need. Please contact us today at 630-852-8485. To check out our work, please visit our gallery.