How a Garage Renovation Can Increase Your Home’s Value
For many homeowners, their garage is something of an afterthought when compared to the rest of their home. A garage may serve primarily as a place to park cars and store various items. Since family members do not spend a great deal of time in that part of their home, they may not think about how it looks or other ways they can use the space. However, those who are looking to sell their home at some point in the future may want to consider how they may be able to increase the potential purchase price, and garage renovations are a great way to do so.
Garage Upgrades to Increase the Resale Value of a Home
Homeowners can make changes to their garage that improve their home’s appearance and add “curb appeal,” and they can also make improvements that provide more ways to use that part of the home. These upgrades may include:
- New garage doors – The appearance of a garage door can make a big difference for those who are looking at a home. Homeowners may want to replace their garage doors, using appealing, high-quality materials such as steel or aluminum. Installing a new electric garage door opener that integrates with smart home technology is another great way to add value.
- A finished garage floor – Using epoxy coating or floor tiles to cover the concrete of a garage floor can significantly improve the appearance of the garage, while also making it easier to clean.
- Additional lighting – Many garages feature dim lighting, but the space can be made much more appealing and usable by ensuring that it is well-lit. In addition to installing lighting inside a garage, motion-activated floodlights can be added to a garage’s exterior to improve security.
- Improved insulation – Many garages lack insulation, making it difficult to regulate temperature during hot or cold weather. Adding new insulation will not only ensure that family members can use the garage year-round, but it will increase the energy efficiency of the home, allowing for savings on utility bills.
- A garage workspace – Potential home buyers may wish to use a garage to work on their cars or complete other projects. Making sure there is an area to do so can make a garage more appealing. In addition to installing a workbench and storage for tools, homeowners may want to add additional electrical outlets to ensure that equipment can be used when needed.
Contact Our DuPage County Garage Renovation Professionals
At Blue Sky Builders, we can help you determine the best ways to make improvements to your garage that will increase your home’s resale value. We can assist with a garage renovation, or we can help you build a completely new custom garage that will meet your family’s needs and provide increased appeal when it comes time to sell your home. To get a free estimate, contact our Downers Grove custom garage experts at 630-852-8485.