What Is the Best Material to Use for a New Garage Door?
Your garage door is likely to be one of the most-used entrances to your home, and because of this, it can experience a significant amount of wear and tear. Replacing your garage door will not only make sure you will be able to enter and exit your garage without any problems, but it can also add additional visual appeal, provide better insulation, and improve your home’s security. If you are looking to install a new garage door, you will want to consider the best type of material that will fit your needs and budget.
Garage Door Materials
Some of the most commonly used materials for garage doors include:
- Wood – Garage doors with a natural wood finish can be very visually appealing, and they often provide good insulation for a garage. However, they can also be very heavy, and they will need to be properly maintained to prevent weather damage due to rain, snow, or humidity. As an alternative, homeowners may consider wood composite garage doors that provide the natural appearance of wood while being more durable and offering better insulation.
- Steel – These types of doors are very durable and cost-effective. They can be insulated, and they can be painted to match the colors of a home. However, they can be dented or scratched, and they are susceptible to rust and corrosion.
- Aluminum – This metal is lighter than steel, and it is resistant to rust. Some aluminum garage doors may also provide glass panels, allowing for more natural light in a garage. This material is more expensive than steel, but it can also be more easily dented or damaged.
- Fiberglass – This material is highly durable, and while it has a similar appearance to wood, it will not warp or crack due to moisture or weather conditions. It provides good insulation, and it is often less expensive than other materials.
- Vinyl – These types of doors provide good insulation, and they are resistant to dents and other forms of damage. They are very durable, and they do not require very much maintenance.
Contact Our Chicago Area Garage Door Replacement Experts
If you need a new door for your garage, the professionals at Blue Sky Builders can help you determine the best option that will fit your needs. We will explain the advantages and disadvantages of the different materials that are available, and we will help you select a door that fits the design of your home and provides you with the necessary insulation. With our help, you can install a new garage door that will last for years to come. To get a free estimate, contact our Downers Grove garage door specialists by calling 630-852-8485.