What Type of Garage Door Opener Is Best for My Home?
As a homeowner, you may not put too much thought into your garage door opener. As long as it opens and closes your garage door without any problems, it may seem like a standard piece of machinery that simply does its job. However, if you need to replace a garage door opener that has worn out or broken down, or if you are planning to build a new custom garage, you may want to look at your options and determine the best type of garage door opener for your home.
Choosing the Right Garage Door Opener
Your choice of garage door opener will depend on your needs, your budget, and any limitations that you may need to address. The available options include:
- Chain-drive garage door openers – These are the most common types of equipment used in garages, and they use a chain that connects a motor to the garage door. These systems can be loud, and vibrations may be felt in other parts of a home while they are operating. However, they are less expensive than other types of garage door openers.
- Belt-drive garage door openers – These function similarly to chain-drive garage door openers, but instead of a chain, they use a belt made of materials such as rubber or polyurethane. This allows the equipment to operate more quietly than chain-drive garage door openers. However, belt-drive garage door openers are also more expensive.
- Screw-drive garage door openers – These use a threaded steel rod that is rotated to open and close a garage door. While they are very reliable because they have fewer moving parts, they are also louder than other types of garage door openers.
- Direct-drive garage door openers – These are the quietest type of garage door opener, and they function by having the motor attach directly to the garage door and move across a stationary track mounted on the garage’s ceiling.
- Jackshaft garage door openers – These wall-mounted garage door openers use pulleys and cables to turn a garage door’s torsion bar to open and close the door. They can be a good option for garages that have either low or high ceilings. These are the most expensive types of garage door openers.
In some cases, a simple chain-drive garage door opener may be the best, most cost-effective option. However, you may want to consider other types of garage door openers if you are looking to cut down on noise in the areas of your home above or around your garage or if you are looking for a reliable system that is less likely to break down over time. You may also want to consider a wall-mounted garage door opener if you are looking to free up ceiling space for overhead storage.
Contact Our DuPage County Garage Door Opener Specialists
At Blue Sky Builders, we can help you choose the garage door opener that will meet your needs, and we will make sure all equipment is installed properly and runs smoothly. To learn how we can help you create a custom garage that will allow you to use your space as effectively as possible, contact our Chicago area garage renovation experts at 630-852-8485.